DawningLife Midwifery

Experienced homebirth midwives serving Metro-Atlanta and North Georgia families for over 35 years!

Noam's Homebirth

Pasted Graphic 6

Let me set the scene:

I’m very hugely pregnant (measuring 44 cm a week before the birth). I had about 8 hours of “practice” labor at 39 weeks. My mom came to stay with us 3 days prior to this. We had asked her to be at the birth to help take care of the kids. At the point this story begins, I have been in early labor for a day or so, with contractions about 10 minutes apart….

Monday, May 4, 2015 (41w2d)

I woke up a little after 2 AM for yet another trip to the bathroom, then again just after 5 AM. The second trip I found more bloody show. Yay! I went back to bed, but couldn’t sleep. Around 6 AM, I noticed my doula (Kim W.) was online and messaged her, “This is gonna be a long one, but at least it’s easy. The contractions aren’t really worse. A little longer this morning though, but also a little more spread out. Last night they were more like 10min/30sec, now they are more like 15min/over a min. I consider that the same.” An hour later, I was back to the bathroom again - more bloody show (and lots of it!). Yay!

Read More…

Winnie's Homebirth


Everyone thought I would go early this time around. I was huge (really I was appropriately big for a second baby…still, my mom thought for sure I was having twins). Charlotte showed up on her due date, and when my due date came and went, I was getting a bit antsy. I kept adding things to my to do list that already included the go to suggestions for inducing labor. I cleaned the house and had to clean it again. I got groceries and had to get groceries again.

It felt like forever, but it was only four days past my due date when I woke up with some contractions that started to feel more like the real thing. I encouraged them along with a little nipple stimulation as I considered whether or not to have James stay home from work. It was 7:30, and the contractions were mild, short, and 6-7 minutes apart. James was tired anyways, so I told him that he should stay home to see if this develops into anything.

Read More…

Jac 7/17/08 and Jake 12/15/12


Back in 2007 when I found out I was pregnant with my first child, an acquaintance that lived in Florida told me all about her water births. I then did a lot of research and bought several books and decided from that point I would seek out a natural pregnancy and birth. Of course, at that point I didn't know that you weren't "allowed" to have a home birth in GA. And the OB/GYN I had at that time did not have those same feelings about even a "natural" birth. In fact, she told me her sister had a home birth and she is now estranged from her (very sad). She also proceeded to tell me a few medical fibs like the epidural doesn't get to the fetus, etc. Which was later referenced in the PDR as being completely untrue. So after that appointment, I stopped by a local herb shop and asked them about midwives. I figured they'd know about natural birth and possibly know a local midwife.

Read More…

Lillianna Marie Homebirth

After a few extra days, our precious little girl is here. Lillianna Marie Banguilan was born at 6:53 am on 10/23/09 in our home. She weighs 9 lbs 9 oz and is 20.5" long. At the moment, she is sleeping peacefully in her swing and Nanay and Jaiden are at the Taste of Suwanee Festival (so it's a little quiet). I thought I would take this moment and write down some details before I forget so here is my version. (Anna's to come.)

Read More…

Iris Neoma Homebirth

Saturday, June 20th, I was feeling radiant. Hot and exhausted. But Radiant all the same! I took my 5 year old daughter to a birthday party, at which nearly everyone asked when the baby was due (of course). I responded to almost everyone who asked~ “ last Wednesday, but I’m having the baby tomorrow.” I was ready. It just seemed right that the baby should come. My best friend had been telling me for months that the baby would be born on her birthday (June 21st). Anyway, we left the birthday party and went to a cookout at my folks place where I picked a bunch of green beans and continued to insinuate that the baby would be born tomorrow. “Bye, see you at the pool tomorrow unless I’m having a baby!”

Read More…

Raine Bronwen Homebirth

The morning is full of hope, and this morning especially so. On Thursday, June 11, 2009, I awoke knowing that by the end of the day, I would be holding my new baby. I had spent an hour or two in and out of sleep with waves of contractions. When I got out of bed it was just after 4:00 a.m., so I told David to keep sleeping, and I went downstairs. I warmed up a rose and neroli aromatherapy oil. I had for a few days wrestled with some anxious thoughts, but this morning, alone with the Lord, I felt clear and uplifted, empowered and embraced. For the next couple of hours, I listened to praise music by Phil Wickham, ate a little strawberry yogurt, started some laundry, listened to Hypnobabies birthing affirmations while timing contractions on the birth ball, peeled carrots for the birth day cake, and walked around the still-dark house. Just before 6:00 a.m., I felt the intensity of my pressure waves increasing, so I decided to call my midwife, Debbie. Since the contractions were lasting about a minute and coming every five, she said that she would leave her home in Marietta right away.

Read More…

Lyric Athena Homebirth

June 8 we finally get some early morning signs that the baby is on it's way. Even though there were no contractions/pressure waves yet my body was definitely telling me that Lyric was getting ready.

Marcos stayed home with me, and cooked me a huge breakfast. Then we took a nice walk and came home and I took a nap. After my nap around 3-4 pm, I started to have pressure waves about 10 minutes apart. By 6 pm they were 6 minutes apart, so we called Katy Jo to come and help with the kids.

Read More…

Emery Mendes Homebirth

I lay down to take a nap with Arkady around 4 o'clock. While he was sleeping and nursing I felt some fluid and wondered if I could be leaking amniotic fluid. The leaking continued until I was positive it was amniotic fluid. I cherished snuggling with my first born so much as I began to realize that these were are last moments together before another precious child was added to our family.

Read More…

Quinn Emerson Homebirth

The births of my three children were some of the most memorable moments of my life. I had my third child at home with DawningLife Midwifery. Here is how the story goes.

On a Thursday, which was 11 days after my due date, I had been having periodic contractions. They didn’t seem like anything more than what I had been feeling for weeks. Coming close to 2 weeks overdue, I was also over-ready for this baby to make its way into the world. I was huge and uncomfortable and losing patience as the days ticked by. That day, I decided to try nipple stimulation to get things going. I felt contractions as I was in and out of sleep through the night until 2:30 a.m. At that point, I felt like they were getting strong enough and regular enough that we should time them.

Read More…

Cameron Bogan

Cameron Bogan Jacobs was born on October 1, 2007 at 41 weeks and 3 days gestation. He was 8 lbs., 15 oz. and 22" long. He arrived peacefully at 11:40 pm in the privacy and comfort of our own bedroom. Here is the story... I'll start with December 2006. Conception, although unplanned, happened. No more details needed there! In January 2007 I did a pregnancy test after being late, and low and behold, it was positive!!!!! My feelings were many... elated (how could I not be, I was having a baby!), scared (after all, I had just returned from Walt Disney World, so this baby rode every ride multiple times), and worried (I had 2 previous miscarriages in the last year). But mostly I was thrilled!!!

Read More…

Manning Mitchell

On Thursday (9/6/07) morning we had a cleaning lady come to the house, a gift from my dad. I planned a bit of a day of pampering for myself in order to get out of her way. At 9:45 I had an appointment with my chiropractor. She adjusted my hips and pubic bone (ooh, feels good) and worked on some pressure points to help my hips. She told me that these pressure points could cause labor if you're ready. And if I got closer to my due-date I could come back and she'd work on the same pressure points some more. I felt awesome after my appointment.

Read More…

Stella Kathryn

It was July 21st, my estimated due date, but I felt like I was overdue. I was huge, it was hot, and since my first child came two weeks early, I was expecting this one a little early too. I was also expecting this baby to come quickly and it seemed that everyone I interacted with thought that would be the case. I knew that it would take the Debbie, my midwife, around two hours to get to my house and if my labor was at all similar to my mother’s second labor that would be just enough time.

Read More…

Iris Aurora

Now that Iris is four months old, perhaps it is time for me to finish writing her birth story. I started writing this two months ago. It's a challenge, as it feels like I'm stealing time from her in getting it written, but already I fear I'm forgetting things, so negligent or not, here I go...

Wednesday (June 27) began with my by-then standard flurry of nesting activity. Already suspecting that today might be the day, I loaded the car full of recycling and donations for the thrift store, tasks I knew would never be taken care of after the birth. A phone call from my mom with the admonition, "No babies tonight!" added to my suspicions... I loaded Galen in the car and set out.

Read More…

Joshua Loucas

Lord, your will be done….BUT, if I have any say in the matter, I’d REALLY like to have this baby tomorrow.

That was my whispered prayer Thursday night. Never mind the fact the whole house had been sick all week, and never mind the fact I still had last minute things to do to prepare for this baby. I was ready.

Read More…

Seth Edward

This is not a birth story that I thought would be mine. When I became pregnant with our second child, I assumed I would have a hospital birth, as I did with our first. It was not a good experience, but I had not allowed myself to consider other options. After a previous early miscarriage, I was on pins and needles for the first trimester and wanted to see if this would be a go. The blessed second trimester mark passed, and I began to research birth on the internet.

Read More…

Eva Rose

Eva Rose
As an only child of an only child (my mother), I didn’t have much exposure to babies or birth in my early life. Both my mother and grandmother gave birth under anesthesia so when I was first pregnant and the Nurse at the OB/GYN asked if I would like a natural birth I thought she meant do I want to be awake. It’s funny to think back to that now - like another life. My first child was born in a hospital with a Certified Nurse Midwife in attendance. I labored 14 hours at home and used the last 4 hours to travel, admit, settle in, and deliver my daughter, Jordan Elizabeth.

Read More…

Kanate` Rajah

For about 2 weeks I'd been having contractions that would look like a regular pattern was forming, but would never progress. They were doing some good work for me, but I felt like something was needing to be done before the baby would come. So, on the date I was due, I meditated on my baby and myself and said, "I really want you to come now, what do we have to do?" They answer was, not have a lot of people at my birth. Oh...that's all? We were going to have several of my close women friends present to help with my 2 year old daughter, and assist me etc. But I knew this baby didn't want that, and I felt a huge burden lift when I said to my husband that if we went into labor that night, we weren't going to call anybody.

Read More…

Rory McKenzie

Born Sunday, October 9, 2005 at 1:11am.

Weighing 7 pounds 8 ounces, 20 ¼” long, 13 ½” head, 13 ¾” chest.

On Thursday and Friday I was trying to fill the days. I thought my baby would have already been born and I was ready. Michael came home on Friday and wanted to know what the vibe was he was picking up from me. I said, “I’m bored – I want to have this baby.” I was excited upon going to bed because we had a full day planned for Saturday.

Read More…

Sadie Rose

My "Labor" Day!

Thought I would share my birth story for those of you who like to read stuff like that :)

It's hard to tell when my labor actually started. We had a difficult time figuring that out for the birth paperwork afterwards because for two days I had some strong contractions that felt like "something"...I could tell they weren't Braxton Hicks because they kept me awake at night but were not very painful, just "sit up and pay attention" contractions. I had also started to have bloody show and loose stools. (Hey, you've read this far so hopefully this stuff doesn't gross you out!)

Read More…

Jacob Ian

Jacob's Birth Story: Believing God! We welcomed a 7 lb 13 oz baby on Sunday, March 20th at 2:48 in the morning. However, I would like to back up a little bit and tell some truths about my pregnancy in order to fulfill the title of this story. 

Once I found out I was pregnant, knowing there is no birth centers in Atlanta, I decided on a home birth. After talking with several local doulas, I decided to receive dual care meaning regular OB visits along with planning the home birth/water birth. Almost every visit to the OB/GYN was disappointing.

Read More…

Noah Lucas

The entire pregnancy I prayed to God that I would get a good night sleep before I went into labor (as for my first labor, with Savannah I was up allll night and very tired). Well my prayers were answered!! I woke up at about 6:00 AM on January 10, with very mild contraction coming and going every 15-20 minutes...I could deal with that, I didn’t wake my husband yet although he heard my every move. At about 7:00 AM they started to get somewhat stronger and my husband asked if he should stay home from the office today...

Read More…

Reed Jezmund

Maureen’s version...
I woke at about 4 am to a nice strong contraction. I glanced at my watch to note the time, and dozed back off. About 8 minutes later, I was woke by another one... This pattern continued till about 6 am, I was starving, so I got up for a quick bowl of cereal, and laid back down to continue resting while I could.

Read More…